“This budget will go some way to supporting growing fringe regions around Melbourne and Geelong to manage growth and offer a better balanced lifestyle” PUCV Chair and Councillor of Bass Coast Council Cr Brett Tessari said.
“The peri urban regions are experiencing some of the highest growth rates in the country so it’s great to see this budget once again back the Growing Suburbs Fund and other grant programs to support growing regional towns” Cr Tessari said.
Important investments announced as part of the budget include:
- Extending the $50 million Growing Suburbs Fund;
- $5 million for grants to support growing regional towns;
- $101 million for state regional road upgrades;
- An additional $30 million for the Regional Jobs and Infrastructure Fund; and
- $300 million for the Regional Health Infrastructure Fund for vital regional health projects; and
- $17 million to protect and preserve our coastal environment from erosion and flood risks, $10 million for investment in Great Ocean Road erosion management and funding to upgrade jetties and national parks.
“As we head into a state election later in the year, we will be looking for investments that support the future of the fast growing fringe regions and the growing population who choose to live there” Cr Tessari concluded.