The Victorian Government has released the first five-year Victorian Infrastructure Plan, laying out the government’s infrastructure priorities over the coming years.
The Government has also responded to each of Infrastructure Victoria’s 137 recommendations. The Government has accepted the majority of its recommendations with 134 of them either supported in full or, in-principle, or partly supported.
Relevant inclusions for the Peri Urban region include:
- $530.6 million to maintain and upgrade roads and bridges and undertake planning work towards future road improvements to cater for regional growth, as well as improving travel times and safety on
- $110 million to fund the first stage of a new Surf Coast Rail project to prepare the corridor for duplication between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds and reserve land for a future line to Torquay
- $518 million to upgrade the Ballarat line to Melton, to increase the reliability of services for the Ballarat region and Melbourne’s outer west.
- $22.4 million for the Living Libraries Infrastructure Program to support local councils across the state to build new libraries and upgrade facilities to meet growing demand.
- $22 million for Better Indoor Sports Stadiums to develop multi-use indoor stadiums across the state.
- $120 million for the Community Sport Infrastructure Fund to support planning and improvement works for community sport and recreation facilities.
- $50 million through the Shared Facilities Fund to create smart, multipurpose ‘hubs’ at major schools across the state that will be accessible to all members of the community
- $44 million to address mobile blackspots by building and upgrading mobile base stations across Victoria. This project is in partnership with the Commonwealth Government and mobile carriers.
- $25 million to encourage the development of innovative broadband market solutions in regional Victoria. This project will support enhanced broadband demonstration projects and the roll-out of public Wi-Fi.
- $68 million to provide reliable access to digital services in the classroom that are essential to teaching and learning and an additional $16.4 million to improve bandwidth and digital connectivity for students
in rural and regional Victoria.
- $18 million to fund improvements to mobile connectivity for commuters along the Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Traralgon and Seymour rail lines. This is being delivered through an innovative partnership with mobile carriers and leveraging state infrastructure.
- $25.5 million for Smart Planning, which is reforming the planning system by simplifying rules and policies, and developing modern digital tools that will make the system more efficient, effective, accessible and transparent.
- Complete a school investment pipeline on government’s five-year investment program in new and upgraded facilities to allow for planning certainty.
- $10 million to plan and build Early Childhood Development facilities colocated at new primary schools.
- $2.4 million towards the Protection of Victoria’s Iconic Beaches and Coastline program for coastal management, monitoring of hazards and upgrading critical coastline infrastructure.
- Establish and maintain buffers that separate waste management facilities from other uses, and apply best practice standards to help protect communities.
- $16 million to modernise Werribee and Bacchus Marsh irrigation districts, primarily through replacing existing open channels with pipeline.
- Progressing $8.2 million of feasibility investigations into other grid extensions and upgrades across Victoria. This includes $1.1 million from the Victorian Government, $5.5 million from the Commonwealth
Government and $1.6 million from project proponents.